Sunday, September 28, 2014

ABAC STEAMPUNKtember


Front
I am very honored to announce that I have been selected to the Design Team at Anything But A Card, where our current challenge is STEAMPUNKtember.  I had a great deal of fun creating this steam punk composition book.  The challenge encouraged me to create some really cool background paper and add elements to enhance the steam punk feel.  I picked up a vinyl cover to go over the composition book so the three-dimensional elements would not get destroyed with use.  
 
Go check our ABAC current challenge Anything But A Card.  We would love to have you play along and join the fun!







Supplies: 
Ideology:  Film Strip Ribbon, Tissue Tape, Game Spinners, Mini Mask Compass, Mask Timeworks, Remnant Rubs Numbers and Elements.
Recollections:  Clock Face
Sizzix:  Gadget Gears, Mini Gears, Sizzlits Tag Tradition and Scallop, Alterations Compass and Pocket Watch
Stampers Anonymous:  Steam Punk
Technique Tuesday:  Borderline Industry
Sassafras:  I Heart Robots
Inkadinkado:  Steam Punk Collage
Momento Tuxedo Black
StazOn Black
Ranger Distress Ink Weathered Wood
Misc:  white card stock, Core’dination Whitewash, Distressed card stock in coordinating color, flat head eyelets, 3M Multi Surface Spray Adhesive, Mod Podge, varying heights of dimensional foam squares, glue dots, and composition book.

Stamp positioning plates


  The background paper was stamped Tuxedo Black Ink alternating the images to create a balanced sheet.  A stamp positioner is vital to get the images where you want them in the background.  The images were first stamped on an acrylic positioning plates with StazOn Black.  Since I had so many images I wanted to use I stamped each one in the corner of the plate so I had 8 images on two plates. 




Background paper masked & inked


Background paper stamped
The masks were placed over the stamped images and Weathered Wood Ink was sponged around the masks.  Tim Holtz has a great how to video on YouTube Here.


 
Die cut two sets of Mini gears and Gadget Gears, one in each color.  Die cut one set of alternating colors of Tags in Traditional and Scalloped.  Distress the Whitewash die cuts with sandpaper and ink the Weathered Wood die cuts.   

Pressure emboss Compass and Pocket Watch on Weathered wood card stock.  Fussy cut the compass and two pocket watches.   Distress with Tuxedo Black ink.

Place Remnant Rubs Numbers on Film Strip Ribbon and rub to adhere.

Place selected Remnant Rubs Elements on tags and rub to adhere.  Punch a hole and set the flat head eyelets into tags.

Insert spinner into clock face with provided brad.  

Back of Composition book


Assembly:

The composition book I used had a fairly slick cover that requires a good adhesive.  I went with 3M Multi Surface Adhesive.   I trimmed the prepared background papers to size and lined up with the binding on the composition book.  Tissue tape securely adhered the edge allowing me to flip the background paper open and spray both the paper and the cover at the same time and know that it would line up.  To smooth out any air bubbles I used a rubber brayer.

The pocket watches and compass are adhered to the back cover with Mod Podge as are the first layer of gears in Whitewash on the front cover.

Detail on gears

Detail on clock face & tags
 
The three dimensional gears are adhered with varying heights of dimensional foam squares.  The thinnest layer is two stacked glue dots to just barely raise the gear.   The top layer of gears are first lined up to match (they are not symmetrical) and then offset slightly to give a shadowed effect.

Adhere clock face with glue dots and tags with varying heights of dimensional foam squares.







I have entered this into theScrapitgirl September Challenge using a stencil or mask.

Go and join the fun over there too!

Thanks for your comments, it truly makes this journey more fun to share!

7 comments:

  1. OMW alot of work went into this and well worth it too. Love the background paper you created and actually love everything about it. I am sure we willl learn alot from each other whilst on our journey. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and very cool comp. book!! :) Evie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I'm from SCS's. I love your blog and your techniques. I saw your announcement and I'm glad I checked out your blog. I now have you in my blog reader feed. I look forward to perusing more and seeing more!!

    Kathy
    Lakewood, Co

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! So many cool details here. Love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats. You will have fun on the team. I was on their first team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love all these layers...Thanks for playing and joining the Scrap It Girl September Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make me smile to know you enjoy my creativity! Thank you!